Sometimes, I use this principle as a measure of wealth and comfort (yes, it could also be a measure of carelessness and wastefulness). The idea is to determine the value of the coin, that one could afford to loose, without loosing sleep (again, fully aware that some people would loose sleep over any amount, irrespective of how wealthy they are).
It is worth taking a moment to think about what this value would be for different people around the world.
- The homeless guy, sleeping rough on the high street
- The till worker on high street shop
- The shop manager
- The CEO of the high street chain
- The farmer in drought stricken Sudan
- The average family man in war torn Syria